Are you looking for a fun, healthy adventure in nature? In the text below you can find out the best way to spend some quality time out of the city - trekking. Learn about the basics of trekking, best routes on Pag island, what essential gear you need, and much more.
Croatia is a beautiful country that offers a variety of outdoor activities, including trekking. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced trekker, Croatia offers something for everyone. In this blog, we’ll explore the beauty of trekking in Croatia, provide tips for beginners, and highlight some of the popular trekking routes on Pag island.
Exploring Croatia on foot: the beauty of trekking
Trekking is an excellent way to explore the natural beauty of Croatia. Not only does it allow you to see the country from a different perspective, but it also provides a great workout and a chance to get away from the crowds. Trekking in Croatia offers a wide range of landscapes, from rocky mountains to lush forests and crystal clear lakes. The country is also home to many different types of wildlife, so you might even spot some interesting animals while on your trek.
Hiking vs trekking
Hiking and trekking are often used interchangeably, but there are some differences between the two. Hiking is typically a shorter and easier activity, usually done on well-maintained trails and often with a specific destination in mind. Trekking, on the other hand, is a more challenging activity that usually involves backpacking and camping overnight. It often involves longer, more remote routes and doesn’t always have a specific destination.
Popular trekking routes on Pag
Pag island is a popular destination for trekkers. Some of the most popular routes include:
- The Pag island trek, which takes you around the entire island and offers stunning views of the Adriatic Sea.
- The Novalja to Lun trek, which takes you through the island’s interior and offers a chance to see traditional Croatian villages.
- The Stara Novalja trek, which takes you through the island’s pine forests and offers a chance to see some of the island’s unique wildlife.
The best time to go trekking on Pag
The best time to go trekking on Pag island is during the spring and fall, when the weather is mild and the crowds are smaller. However, it is possible to trek on the island year-round. If you’re planning to trek in the winter, be sure to bring warm clothing and be prepared for colder temperatures.
Essential trekking gear for beginners
When it comes to gear, less is more when it comes to trekking. However, there are a few essential items that you should bring with you:
- A good pair of hiking boots or shoes.
- A backpack with a built-in water bladder.
- A lightweight and waterproof jacket.
- A hat and sunglasses to protect you from the sun.
- A headlamp or flashlight.
- A first-aid kit.
- A map and compass.
Top safety tips for beginners
- Always let someone know where you’re going and when you expect to return.
- Bring enough food and water to last you for the duration of your trek.
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear for the weather and terrain.
Also, try to avoid most common mistakes even seasoned trekkers make.
Trekking in Croatia is an excellent way to explore the country’s natural beauty. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced trekker, there’s something for everyone on Pag island. Be sure to check out the Camping Village Šimuni website for more information on the different trekking routes and other outdoor activities. Don’t forget to research all the offers that the Šimuni camp offers, and to take action for camping in Šimuni. Happy trekking!